A Cinderella skirt (part two)



Hi, it's Héloïse!

In my previous post, I did the first layer of my Cinderella skirt and today, I'm picking up where we left off!

For my second layer, I moved on to the organza. I have to admit, I hate working with organza (my first and last time was coincidentally two years ago, when I tried to gather this same skirt...) because it's so slippery and fragile and just annoying in general. But, it looks gorgeous and that's what I have on hand.

So, I had four meters already cut up (I don't know where I was going with that originally). I made the same kind of little chart, with different measurements and three full panels instead of four. (It looks way better at the front so I'll remember to always do that.) I struggled to keep my fabric in place and I guess people normally use pattern weights but I don't have that so I managed with what I could find in my basement.


I also ironed my organza panels and I know that you're not supposed to put that much heat on fancy fabric so I took a pillow case to put in-between the iron and my precious organza. But it was taking way too long so I just ironed it directly and really fast so it wouldn't have time to burn (or whatever fancy fabric does when it's heated). Once everthing was assembled, I realized I didn't want my organza to fray on the inside of the skirt and since it's sheer, I had no idea how to do that in an okay-looking way. So I asked my good friend, Youtube. I found this video (link here, at 6:28) that explained that I could actually fold my fabric over the raw edge, in a way that would kind of create a little case over it. Here's a picture of my trial-run:


Satisfied with the result, I did that on all of the raw edges inside my organza skirt, ironed the seams, and this is what I ended up with!


I am very aware that the little case under the organza is clearly visible, but I find it looks more like a ribbon and I might try to decorate the skirt based on that later on. But overall, I'm pretty happy with what I did (if we ignore the fact that this skirt is in desperate need of a hem).

- Héloïse

Comments