A Cinderella skirt (part three)


Hi! It's Héloïse and I'm back to work on my Cinderella skirt.

In part two, I finished the organza layer and we left the dress looking like this:


I have now officially decided that I'm going to need at least another layer for the skirt because we can still see the hoops of my crinoline. So that's what we're doing. Since I'm cheap and too impatient to order some fabric and then have to wait for it, I looked through our linen cabinet and found these!


They're just plain white sheets that nobody uses anymore. They're a little bit heavy but they're free and they're here so in my unprofressionnal opinion, they'e perfect! (And as an added bonus, they smell like laundry detergent so I am more than satisfied with this find.) I have a total of four meters and a half. I think I'll only use one of the two sheets; who knows when I'll need old white sheets again? 

I sketched a new little panel design so I can have three panels. (I'm still a little angry about my stupid four panels from earlier...) I measured and cut everything. (I kept the leftovers because the little tag said 50% cotton and 50% polyester, and I thought it was the right fabric for masks... It's not and I'm disappointed.)

Then, as I was ironing my pieces of old bedsheets, I marveled at the fact that, throughout this whole skirt process, I hadn't yet burned myself with the iron... and then I burned myself with the iron.

I pinned everything and wrapped it around my crinoline, only to discover that it was too small! So I added two other panels; it still wasn't big enough. I added two other small flaps of fabric, annoyed, and now the back looks a little patchwork-y, but no one except you and I will know that so who cares, really.



And this is what it all looks like!


Now all it's missing is a waistband, a zipper and a nice hem. But I have no idea how I'm going to put that zipper in, while keeping my layers separated and making sure I can sew the same little case around the seam of my organza layer. I need a little time to figure it out.

Plus my back hurts like hell so I need a break. See you in part four!

- Héloïse

Comments