A Cinderella bodice (part one)


Hi! Héloïse here.

The other day, I made a corset out of a bedsheet (yes, I am still bragging about that and the link to it is here). Since it was such a success (still showing off), I decided to make a corset as my Cinderella bodice. This is part one.

I started by making the official pattern of my previous corset. I used some paper bags from the grocery store and since I couldn't make them flat and it was getting annoying, I decided to iron them under a pillow case and weirdly enough, it worked!

Two years ago, one of my friends gave me this denim-like turquoise fabric specifically to make this bodice (I forgot to put on the list in that first post...). I am now using it to do the base layer of the corset; the one that's going to hold the boning and the eyelets (it's pretty solid so it's perfect). I won't go into too much detail because I already explained all of this in my previous post, but I think it is relevant to mention that usually, fabrics have a stretchy side and a non-stretchy side (not always, but it's good to check). I didn't want the stretch to be horizontal so I made sure I cut my pieces in the desired direction.

(I forgot to take a picture after I sewed it so you get the pinned, unfinished version!)

Then I pinned the channels and sewed them down. This time, I only made one per seam, because the new boning I ordered (I ran out...) is wider than the one I used before. However, it still hasn't arrived in the mail yet so I put that layer aside and started working on the more complicated part.

My top layer actually consists of three layers: the organza, the blue fabric and my white bedsheet (I promise, it's the last you'll see of it, I finally used all of it). The reason I am still using the white is because my blue fabric is very see-through and I was worried we'd be able to see the turquoise under it. That way, it wouldn't exactly match the color of the skirt. So I decided to add the white, like I did with the skirt, to make sure it was the same color.

I cut all of my pieces and pinned the three layers together. I sewed a basting-stitch (with my machine) along the edges of every piece, to make sure they would stay in place when I sewed the whole thing together. What was hard with this process is that I was worried the fabrics would create "air bubbles", as I like to call them, like when you put on sticker on something and end up with a annoying air bubble right in the middle of it. Well it kind of does that with layered fabric too! But I took my time and somehow managed to make everything look pretty okay.


After taking a big, long, shaky breath, I proceeded to sew all of it together.


I am very satisfied with how it turned out. I left the basting-stitches in because we can't see them and in my mind, they add extra-strength, so really they're harmless. I was also planning to add a lining after the turquoise layer (you know, for my sensitive skin), but halfway through the process, I realized I didn't really need it...? I'm keeping everything in case I change my mind but for now, I decided to leave these two (or actually four) layers like that.


I am planning to do the boning part, the eyelets and the bias tape once I get everything in the mail!
- Héloïse

Comments