A failed attempt at being professional


Hi! It's Héloïse and today I wanna share my first attempt at making my Cinderella bodice.

I figured that, since this is a big project and I'm documenting everything for the public eye, I might as well take this as seriously as possible and act professionnal about it. So, for the first time ever, I made my own pattern. (The important point here is not that I didn't use a store-bought pattern; it's that I deciced to use a pattern at all.)

I draped my mannequin with this white fabric I found in the clearance section a few months ago and embarked on my pattern-making journey. It was fairly easy (perhaps too easy) and I ended up with this.




Then, to be even fancier, I traced my pattern on this big piece of tissue paper (I couldn't find any other piece of paper that was big enough). I even added my one centimeter seam allowance and put in the little dart!


I cut out the pattern pieces, pinned them to my fabric (I was dumb enough to use my blue lining), and assembled my bodice. The whole time, I was thinking to myself "This is good, we're doing the right thing!" Hehe, well...




Yep. I don't know how, but it looked even worse than I could have imagined. (You're allowed to laugh.) But! Instead of seeing this as a failure, I decided to see it as a learning experience (at that point, I was still fully rested and my back didn't hurt too much). So I took out my white fabric and started over. This time, I decided to lose the straps and changed my design. I figured it'd be easier (and maybe cuter?) to start with a strapless bodice and to add cute little straps later, if needed.



I made my pattern pieces, used a different fabric this time (See? I'm learning!) and put everything together. And I am pround to announce that it still looked terrible!




I have to give myself some credit for successfully ruining two different patterns in a row. And what's weird is that it usually ends up better when I just wing it. So I've come to the conclusion that patterns are the problem.

I tried being professionnal and never again.

- Héloïse

Comments